Friday, November 7, 2008

Devastated by Mac

Last night, while I was watching tv, John came into the living room and delivered some sad news. He said, “my laptop isn’t working. It crashed!” I was hoping it was just a small error, but after a few hours of playing with it, it was done. I was so so SO sad. It was already late, so we made an appointment with the Mac store this morning to see if they could fix it. It’s sad because this is actually the 2nd time this happened to John’s Macbook. He bought his laptop in August 2007, and the hard drive crashed in Jan. 2008. He lost all of his files from his first year of med school.

You would’ve though that he, or we, would’ve learned our lesson and bought some sort of back-up mechanism to make sure we didn’t lose any of our stuff. But we didn’t. John dropped off his laptop this morning and the Mac worker told us that there was a 50/50 chance of recovering all of our files. I spent the entire day hoping and praying that they’d be able to recover our files.

At 8:30pm, we got the call. The Mac store called and said that they couldn’t recover anything. We went to the store and asked if there was anything else we could do to recover our files. They basically told us that they could give us the hard drive and we could send it out to a professional and see if they can recover anything. They said that the rates go anywhere fro $400 – $2000. The worker said “it’s all up to you, it’s depending on how much the files on your hard drive are worth to you.” And that’s the thing. We didn’t back up anything, so the irreplaceable items are our engagement party pictures, my bridal shower, my bachelorette, non-pro wedding pics, honeymoon pics, opening up all of our presents. All those priceless moments that I took for granted because I had faith in the stupid laptop. Needless to say, I’m sad.

We’re planning on sending it out, and hoping that the files can be recovered. Until then, I’ll be a little sad. In the midst of my sadness last night, I had an idea. I went to my camera to check if I had deleted everything off of it. And lo and behold, I never deleted any of our honeymoon pictures. I was so happy. It was the most important thing to me on that laptop. I knew if worse came to worse, I could find some pictures off of friends and family. But as far as our honeymoon, John and I were the only ones who went. So we’re the only ones who had pictures. So after finding our honeymoon pictures still intact, I was relieved. But as of now, I hate Macs.

No comments: